VEGETABLE AND TOFU STUFFED PEPPERS
Mustard Seed Market & Cafe Natural Foods Cookbook
Cooking classes featuring soy ideas are always sellouts, and these peppers are one of the reasons!
Cheese Crumb Topping
• 1/4 cup soft breadcrumbs
• 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• 1 tbsp. snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
• 4 medium green, red, yellow, or orange bell peppers
• 8 oz. refrigerated, firm tofu
• Nonstick cooking spray
• 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
• 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
• 1/3 cup sliced scallions
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1/2 cup chopped tomato
• 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh in season or frozen
• 1/2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
• 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
• 2 cups spaghetti sauce, warmed
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
For the Cheese Crumb Topping: In a small bowl, toss together the crumbs, cheese, and parsley. Set aside until ready to use.
For the Stuffed Peppers: Cut tops from the peppers and discard stems, seeds, and membranes. Chop tops to make 3/4 cup of peppers and set aside. Cook peppers in simmering water for 5 minutes; drain well.
Drain tofu and crumble into small pieces.
Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Cook the chopped pepper, broccoli, carrots, scallions, and garlic over medium heat until crisp-tender. Stir in tomato, corn, basil, and thyme; remove from heat. Gently stir in tofu.
Place peppers cut side up in a large baking dish. Spoon tofu mixture into peppers, then sprinkle with Cheese Crumb Topping. Bake loosely covered with foil for 35 minutes until peppers and filling are hot. Serve in wide individual bowls topped with hot spaghetti sauce.
About . . .Tofu, also known as soybean curd, is a custard-like white cake made from curdled soy milk, the liquid extracted from ground, cooked soybeans.