Apricot Poppy Phyllo Purses With Rose Water Glaze
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Makes 30 servings.
• 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted, divided
• 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
• 1/2 cup dried Turkish apricots, cut into thin strips
• 3/4 cup sugar, divided
• 1/4 cup honey
• 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Poppy Seed, divided
• 2 tablespoons rose water, divided
• 2 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Saigon Cinnamon
• 1 package (8 ounces) frozen phyllo (14x9-inch sheets), thawed
• 1/4 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Brush large baking sheet with melted butter; set aside. Place walnuts and apricots in food processor; cover. Process until finely chopped. Add 1/4 cup of the sugar, honey, 2 tablespoons of the poppy seed, 1 tablespoon of the rose water and cinnamon; process until well mixed.
2. Unroll phyllo sheets. Place 1 phyllo sheet on clean work surface. Cover remaining sheets with plastic wrap and damp kitchen towel to prevent drying. Brush phyllo sheet with melted butter. Repeat layering with 3 more sheets, brushing each layer with melted butter, for a total of 4 layers. With longer edge of phyllo stack facing you, cut into 6 (4-inch) squares by cutting in half horizontally and in thirds vertically.
3. Place 1 level tablespoon of filling in center of each square. Gather points of square and pinch together closed just above filling. Place phyllo purses on prepared baking sheet. Brush with butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets.
4. Bake 15 minutes or until purses are golden brown. Cool completely on baking sheet.
5. Bring water and remaining 1/2 cup sugar to boil in small saucepan on medium heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon rose water and 1/2 teaspoon poppy seed. Cool completely. Drizzle phyllo purses with cooled glaze.
Test Kitchen Tip: Rose water is available in the international aisle of some supermarkets, online specialty stores, or Middle Eastern markets.
Recipe from McCormick® - Spices & Seasonings