BEEF WITH CHESTNUTS RECIPE
Recipe from ‘Nuts’ by Avner Laskin
Chestnuts add richness to this unquestionably luxurious dish. Serve with crusty bread for mopping up the delicious sauce.
• 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
• 1/4 cup smooth French mustard
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• One 3-pound slice sirloin
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 2 carrots, cut into 1/8-inch cubes
• 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 2 cups chestnuts, shelled
• 1 cup red wine
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Combine the walnuts, mustard, black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of the salt in a bowl, and mix well with a fork.
3. Gradually add the canola oil while stirring, and mix until all the oil is absorbed.
4. Place the sirloin in a baking pan, and spread the mustard and walnut mixture over the meat. Cover the whole slice.
5. Cook for 20 minutes for medium-rare, 5 more minutes for medium.
6. While the meat is cooking, heat a medium pan over medium heat and add the olive oil, onion, carrots, and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add the remaining salt, white pepper, and tomato paste, and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add the chestnuts and red wine, and bring to a boil.
8. Cover the pan, reduce the heat, and cook for 20 minutes over low heat.
9. When the meat is done, remove from the oven, cover with aluminum foil, and keep warm for 30 minutes.
10. When the chestnuts are soft, remove from the heat.
11. To serve, thinly slice the meat, spoon the chestnut mixture onto individual serving plates, and place a slice of meat on each plate.
12. Serve immediately.