FoodReference.com (Since 1999)
RECIPE SECTION - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Articles | Food_Trivia | Today_in_Food History | Food_Timeline | RECIPES | Cooking_Tips | Videos | Food_Quotes | Who’s_Who | Culinary_Schools_&_Tours | Trivia_Quizzes | Food_Poems | Free_Magazines | Food Festival_&_Events
FREE Magazines and other Publications
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
CULINARY SCHOOLS and
More than 1,000 schools & classes listed for all 50 States, Online and Worldwide
This is an official 5 A Day recipe.
Makes 8 servings.
• 1 cup onion (1 medium), chopped
• 1/2 cup celery, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 Tbsp. olive oil
• 1 Tbsp. flour
• 1 tsp. dried rosemary leaves
• 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
• 1/4 tsp. black pepper
• 4 cans (14.5 oz. Each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 1-1/2 cups cooked (1/2 cup dry) baby lima beans, or 1 can (15 oz.) green baby lima beans, drained
• 1-1/2 cups cooked (1/2 cup dry) or 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• 1/3 cup pearl barley
• 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
• 1 large russet potato, unpeeled, cut into 1/2 inch slices
• 1 cup carrots (2 medium), sliced
• 1 cup packed spinach leaves, sliced
In a large saucepan sauté onion, celery and garlic in oil until soft, 2–3 minutes.
Stir in flour, herbs and pepper; cook until onions are tender, 2–3 minutes longer.
Add chicken broth, beans, barley and tomato paste to saucepan; heat to boiling.
Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20–25 minutes, adding potato, carrots and spinach during last 10 minutes of cooking.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories, 236; Fat, 3 g; Cholesterol, 0 mg; Fiber, 9 g; Sodium, 420 mg; percent calories from fat, 13%.
Recipe provided by the California Dry Bean Advisory Board.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.