TORTELLINI AND BEAN SOUP
Makes 6 servings.
Serving size: 1½ cups
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 2 cups roughly chopped white onions
• 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 2/3 cup water
• 2 cups roughly chopped raw spinach
• 1 (16-ounce) can no-salt-added navy beans, drained
• 1 (14.5-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes
• 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts packed in water, drained
• 9 ounces cheese tortellini
Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat.
Add the onions, bell pepper, garlic, and Italian seasoning to the pot.
Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the ingredients are tender.
Add the water, spinach, beans, broth, tomatoes with their juice, and artichokes to the pot.
Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
Add the tortellini to the pot and cook until thoroughly heated, about 7 minutes.
Source: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH, DHHS - hin.nhlbi.nih.gov