TUSCANY RICE AND BEAN SOUP
“Rice to the Rescue!” Recipe Contest Winner - Marie Rizzio
Yield: Makes 6 servings.
• 8 ounces Italian sausage
• 3 16-ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 cup uncooked rice
• 1 15 1/2-ounce can Great Northern beans, undrained
Brown sausage in 3- to 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, about 6 minutes.
Stir in broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper and oregano; bring to a boil.
Stir in rice and beans.
Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
Total Fat 12g
Total Carbohydrate 48g
Dietary Fiber 7g
USA Rice Federation (www.usarice.com)