CHICKPEA TOMATO STEW
The Six O'Clock Scramble by Aviva Goldfarb
Our kids loved eating the chickpeas in this simple stew and declared it "Scramblicious." Serve it topped with sour cream over couscous or rice, passing warm pita bread on the side, or stuff it inside the pitas.
Prep + Cook = 25 minutes
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 shallots, finely chopped (or substitute 1/2 onion and 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped)
• 2 teaspoons curry powder
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas (also called garbanzos), drained
• 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
• 1 cup prepared pasta sauce or tomato sauce
• sour cream for serving
• handful of fresh mint and/or fresh oregano for garnish (optional)
In a medium to large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute them until they start to sizzle. Add the curry powder and cumin and cook the shallots, stirring, for 1 more minute. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and pasta sauce or tomato sauce and simmer the stew for about 10 minutes.
Serve it over couscous or rice, topped with a spoonful of sour cream and garnished with a sprinkle of fresh mint and/or oregano.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Total Fat 7g, 11%
Saturated Fat 1g, 5%
Cholesterol 0mg, 0%
Sodium 630mg, 26%
Total Carbohydrate 24g, 8%
Dietary Fiber 5g, 20%