TRI TIP STEAK WITH MANGO RED PEPPER SALSA
Semi-Homemade Grilling 2
by Sandra Lee
Prep: 20 minutes
Stand: 25 minutes
Grill: 1 hour
Marinate: 2 hours
Makes: 4 servings
• One 2½-pound beef tri-tip steak
• 1 can (11.5-ounce) mango nectar, Kern's
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 1/4 cup diced canned jalapeno chile peppers, Ortego
• 1/4 cup lime juice, ReaLime
• 1/4 cup canola oil, Wesson
• 1 tablespoon Jamaican jerk seasoning, McCormick
For Mango-Red Pepper Salsa:
• 1 jar (12-ounce) roasted red bell peppers, diced fine, Delallo
• 8 ounces frozen mango chunks, diced small, Dole
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 tablespoons lime juice, ReaLime
• 1 fresh jalapeno chile pepper, finely chopped
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Place steak in a large zip-top bag; add the mango nectar, the 1/2 cup cilantro, the canned chile peppers, the 1/4 cup lime juice, canola oil, and the jerk seasoning. Squeeze air out of bag; seal. Gently massage bag to combine. Marinate in refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours.
2. For Mango-Red Pepper Salsa, in a medium bowl, combine roasted red bell peppers, mango, the 1/4 cup cilantro, the 2 tablespoons lime juice, the fresh chile pepper, and the salt. Set aside until ready to serve.
3. Set up grill for indirect cooking over medium-high heat (no direct heat source under steak). Oil grate when ready to start cooking. Let steak stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on hot, oiled grill. Cover grill and cook for 30 to 35 minutes per side for medium (145 to 150 degrees F).
5. Transfer steak to a platter and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain. Serve warm with Mango-Red Pepper Salsa.
Prepare steak and Mango-Red Pepper Salsa as directed.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast in oven about 30 minutes for medium (145 to 150 degrees F); tent with foil and let stand for 10 minutes.
Serve as directed.