TUSCAN STEAK WITH MUSHROOMS
Steak and mushrooms are one of those duos that have as much taste appeal today as ever. The natural meatiness found in mushrooms only enhances the juicy flavor of a good steak. There's no mistaking the fact that Americans are renewing their love affair with beef--thanks, at least in part, to the popularity of low-carbohydrate diets. And mushrooms, of course, make the ideal low-carb topper.
In Tuscan Steak with Mushrooms, the classic combo of steak and mushrooms gets a makeover to fit today's tastes and lifestyles. Quick-to-fix strip steak pairs up with sunny Mediterranean flavors derived from a dash of olive oil and a splash of fresh lemon juice. The steak is served with a sauté of mushrooms, all cooked in the same pan for convenience and added flavor.
YIELD: 4 Portions
• 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
• 4 (6- to 8-ounce) strip or club steaks (about 1-inch thick)*
• 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
• 1 pound white mushrooms (or mixed mushrooms such as white, crimini and shiitake), sliced (about 6 cups)
• 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (scallions)
• 4 lemon wedges
Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper over both sides of steaks.
In a large heavy skillet, over medium heat, heat 1½ teaspoons of the oil.
Add mushrooms; cook and stir just until golden, about 6 minutes.
Remove to a bowl along with any juices in the pan.
In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1½ teaspoons of the oil.
Add steaks; cook to desired doneness, 5 to 6 minutes on each side for medium rare.
Remove to 4 dinner plates.
Return mushrooms and any liquid in the bowl to the skillet along with the green onions and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Cook until mushroom mixture is hot, stirring to incorporate any browned-on bits from the pan.
Spoon mushroom mixture over steaks; serve with lemon wedges.
* Or, use a 1½ pound boneless round or shoulder steak. Cook as directed but cut diagonally across the grain in 1/4-inch thick slices.
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Information Center - www.mushroominfo.com/