SWISS STEAK RECIPE
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 1 hr 50 min
• 1½ lb beef boneless round, tip or chuck steak, about 3/4 inch thick
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon ground mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 can (14.5 oz) whole tomatoes, undrained
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 cup water
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
1. Cut beef into 6 serving pieces. In small bowl, mix flour, mustard and salt. Sprinkle half of the flour mixture over 1 side of beef; pound in with meat mallet. Turn beef; pound in remaining flour mixture.
2. In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook beef in oil about 15 minutes, turning once, until brown.
3. Add tomatoes and garlic to skillet, breaking up tomatoes with a fork. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 hour 15 minutes, spooning sauce occasionally over beef, until beef is tender.
4. Add water, onion and bell pepper to skillet. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
1 SERVING: Cal. 205 (Cal From Fat 70); Fat 8g (Sat. Fat 2g); Chol 60mg; Sodium 340mg; Carbs. 11g (Fiber 2g); Pro. 24g
% DAILY VALUE: Vit. A 8%; Vit. C 30%; Calc. 2%; Iron 16%
EXCHANGES: 2 Vegetable, 3 Lean Meat
CARB. CHOICES: 1
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS
Omit water. Cut beef into 6 serving pieces. In small bowl, mix flour, mustard and salt; coat beef (do not pound in). In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook beef in oil about 15 minutes, turning once, until brown. Place beef in 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker. Top with onion and bell pepper. Mix tomatoes and garlic; pour over beef and vegetables. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 7 to 9 hours.