SWEET AND SOUR UNSTUFFED CABBAGE
Divine Kosher Cuisine: Catering to Family and Friends
by Rise' Routenberg, Barbara Wasser
The sweet peppery taste of ginger ale merges with the brown sugar, ketchup and lemon juice to create a perfect sweet and sour cabbage blend that permeates the meatballs. Capture the taste of stuffed cabbage without all the fuss and in much less time.
Yield: 8 Servings
• 1 large cabbage, coarsely chopped
• 1¼ cups ketchup
• 4 cups ginger ale
• 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
• 2 pounds chopped beef or turkey
• 1 large egg
• 1/4 cup matzoh meal
• Salt and pepper
1. Combine cabbage, ketchup and ginger ale in large soup pot. Boil, reduce heat and simmer until cabbage is soft, 20 minutes. Add brown sugar and juice.
2. Combine meat, egg and matzoh meal. Add salt and pepper.
3. Form into 2-inch balls and add to cabbage mixture. Simmer 40 minutes.