SOUTHWESTERN CILANTRO LIME PINTOS
All Natural Diabetes Cookbook
by Jackie Newgent
Trying to find aflavorful (and fast!) way to add fiber to your meal plan? Look no further. One word describes these beans: yum!
Serves 4, Serving size: scant 1/2 cup
• 2 tsp peanut or canola oil
• 1 large garlic dove, minced
• 1 small jalapeno pepper with some seeds, minced
• 1 (15-oz) can organic pinto beans, drained
• 1/4 cup natural vegetable broth
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 Tbsp lime juice
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the beans and broth and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until the liquid is nearly evaporated.
2. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Serve hot as a side or cool as a salad.
Exchanges: 1 starch; 80 calories, 20 calories from fat, 2 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 105 mg sodium, 11 g total carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 1 g sugars, 3 g protein.
If you're serving these beans hot, lightly top them with shredded Monterey Jack cheese immediately after stirring in the cilantro and lime juice. For a more substantial side - or perhaps an entree-stir the Southwestern Cilantro-Lime Pintos into steamed brown rice.