SOUTHERN PLANTATION DRESSING
Yield: Makes 10 servings (or 8 cups dressing)
• 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
• 1 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
• 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
• 2 10-ounce jars fresh oysters (drain; reserve liquor)
• 4 cups cooked rice (cooked in turkey or chicken broth)
• 1 cup packaged cornbread stuffing
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 cup turkey or chicken broth
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon sage
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Cook celery, onion, green pepper and mushrooms in butter until tender crisp.
Add oysters and cook until edges begin to curl.
Remove from heat.
Stir in rice, cornbread stuffing, eggs, broth, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup or more oyster liquor to make a moist dressing.
Turn into well greased shallow 3-quart baking dish.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees 20 minutes.
Remove cover and cook 15 minutes longer.
Total Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrate 41g
Dietary Fiber 1g
USA Rice Federation (www.usarice.com)