• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 batch scallions, green and white parts chopped
• 1 yellow squash, chopped into a medium dice
• 4 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 large button mushrooms, chopped
• 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
• 1 can tomato paste
• 2 cans or 28 ounces low-fat chicken broth
• basil and parsley, chopped, to taste
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 lb angel hair pasta
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the scallions and mushrooms.
Sauté for a few minutes and then add the squash.
As soon as it softens add the garlic and sauté one or to minutes more.
Add chicken broth, tomatoes and half of the tomato paste.
Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
You may not need all the paste.
This sauce is supposed to be light so check the consistency as it’s simmering, adding more paste if necessary.
Add the herbs one minute before the sauce is done cooking.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Since this is a light sauce, a delicate pasta like angel hair is best.
Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.