Just Tell Me What to Eat!
by Timothy S. Harlan
Baked pasta dishes are perfect for your healthy diet. Use lots of roasted veggies for savory flavor, add high-fiber whole wheat pasta, and top with rich cheese.
Serving Size: 2.67 ounces pasta
If multiplying this recipe, use more than one baking pan
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Leftovers are great! They can be divided and placed in zippered plastic bags and frozen.
• 1 medium-size yellow pepper, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch squares
• 1 medium-size red pepper, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch squares
• 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, halved
• 1 cup small shallots, peeled
• Spray olive oil
• 1 pound whole wheat ziti
• 3 cups tomato sauce
• 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
• 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
• 3 ounces fontina cheese, shredded
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Place the peppers, mushrooms, and shallots in a roasting pan and spray lightly with olive oil.
3. Place the roasting pan in the preheated oven and roast the vegetables until slightly soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. While the vegetables are roasting, bring 5 quarts of water to a boil and add the ziti. Cook until slightly underdone, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain.
5. Prepare a 12 by 9 by 2-inch oblong pan (Pyrex is a good choice) by lightly spraying the inside with olive oil. Set aside. (Lining the pan with nonstick aluminum foil works as well.)
6. Place the tomato sauce, rosemary, thyme, fontina cheese, and black pepper in a glass or stainless-steel bowl. Stir well and add the ziti. Toss the pasta to coat well.
7. Add the vegetables and gently fold together until well blended. Pour the ingredients into the prepared pan.
8. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top.
9. Bake at 375°F for 15 to 20 minutes, until the top is slightly browned.
Serving size 1/6 casserole (2.67 ounces of pasta)
Calories from Fat 76
Total Fat 9 g (13%)
Saturated Fat 4 g (20%)
Trans Fat 0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 21 mg (7%)
Sodium 271 mg (11%)
Total Carbohydrates 74 g (25%)
Dietary Fiber 5 g (21%)
Sugars 8 g
Vitamin A (31%)
Vitamin C (224%)
* Parenthetical percentages refer to % Daily Value.