CRAB WITH ASPARAGUS RECIPE
Complete Guide to Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Cooking
by Glenis Lucas
Crab, asparagus, artichoke and whole grain rice contain valuable antioxidants to boost the immune system; to detoxify, regulate and regenerate immune cells. The rice can be cooked well in advance and used cold to finish the dish if preferred.
Serves 2 as a main course, 4 as a starter
Preparation Time - 45 minutes
• 140g (5 oz) (2/3 cup) whole grain brown rice
• 340ml (12 fl oz) (1 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon) water
• 1 rounded tablespoon pine nut kernels, lightly toasted
• 100g (3½ oz) pack pre-trimmed medium asparagus tips
• 2 rounded tablespoons freshly cut parsley/flat-leaf parsley
• 1 dressed crab, fresh or frozen and thawed crabmeat about 130g (4½ oz)
• 390g (14 oz) tin artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained well
• finely grated rind 1/2 lime and 1¼ teaspoons juice
• 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
• 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
• freshly ground black pepper
Rinse the rice in a sieve under cold running water and drain well. Add the rice to the lightly salted boiling water in a small covered saucepan. Return to the boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes until the water has been absorbed. Leave to one side.
Mix the dressing ingredients in a small basin.
Lightly grill (broil) the pine nut kernels.
Steam the asparagus tips for about 4-6 minutes until just tender.
Plunge them into cold water. When cold, drain and pat dry carefully.
Fluff up the rice with a fork, mix in the parsley then spread onto serving plates. Drizzle the dressing over the rice. Arrange the crabmeat over the rice and top with the asparagus to form a lattice pattern. Scatter over the pine nut kernels. Arrange 8 artichoke halves around the edge of each plate.