CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
Big Book of Chocolate by Jennifer Donovan
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 50 to 55 minutes
Makes 1 x 9 x 4 1/2in. loaf
• 1 stick plus 1 tbsp. butter, softened, plus extra for greasing and to serve
• 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 5 1/2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted and left to cool
• 3 ripe bananas, mashed
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
• 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp. self-rising flour
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Grease a 9 x 4 1/2 in. loaf pan with butter and line the bottom with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, using an electric hand mixer. Add the eggs, beating well, then stir in the melted chocolate, bananas, vanilla extract, and flour until just combined, using a wooden spoon. Spoon into the prepared pan.
3. Bake in the hot oven 50 to 55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out with just a few crumbs clinging to it. Remove from the oven and let the cake cool in the pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with butter for spreading.