BLUEBERRY BANANA BREAD
Essential Best Foods Cookbook by Dana Jacobi
You get wild blueberries two ways in this moist loaf. The frozen berries are succulent while the dried ones add intense flavor. Lemon zest, a touch of butter, and the sparkling, crusty top add to its appeal.
Makes 10 servings
• 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup mashed ripe bananas, about 3 bananas
• 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
• 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/4 cup regular or light buttermilk
• 1 large egg
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
• 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
• 1/2 cup dried wild blueberries
• 1 tablespoon raw sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, combine the bananas, yogurt, brown sugar, buttermilk, egg, butter, and lemon zest. Whisk to blend. Add the dry ingredients and mix until they are just blended. Stir in the frozen and dried berries. Turn the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle on the raw sugar.
3. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a bamboo skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Unmold and cool the loaf completely on the rack. Cut it into 3/4" slices and serve.
Food Fact: Bananas are a good source of fiber and phytosterols that can help reduce cholesterol.
Best Ingredient: Raw and turbinado sugars have a light caramel flavor because they retain some molasses, which also odds minerals.
Per serving: 224 calories, 3 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 5 g protein, -t5 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber