CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BROWNIES
Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Cooking
by Beverly Lynn Bennett & Ray Sammartano
These rich and indulgent brownies are made by layering a peanut butter-flavored brownie batter and homemade vegan chocolate ganache and then swirling them together to create a beautiful marbled effect.
Prep time: 10 to 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 to 40 minutes
Serving size: 1 brownie
Yield: 1 (9x13-inch) pan
• 1/4 cup soy milk or other nondairy milk of choice
• 2 TB. plus 1/3 cup nonhydrogenated vegan margarine
• 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
• 6 oz. (about 3/4 cup) firm or extra-firm silken tofu
• 1/3 cup smooth or crunchy peanut butter
• 1/4 cup cornstarch
• 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
• 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
• 1 1/3 cups turbinado sugar or Sucanat
• 2 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
• 1/4 tsp. sea salt
• 1/2 cup raw peanuts, coarsely chopped
1. For chocolate ganache, in a small saucepan over medium heat, cook soy milk and 2 tablespoons margarine for 1 or 2 minutes until margarine melts and soy milk is hot. Add chocolate chips, and stir until melted. Remove from the heat. Or place soy milk, margarine, and chocolate chips in a glass bowl; microwave for 1 or 2 minutes or until chocolate chips just begin to soften; and stir mixture until smooth. Let cool slightly for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9x13-inch baking pan.
3. Place silken tofu, peanut butter, remaining 1/3 cup margarine, cornstarch, and vanilla extract in a food processor fitted with an S blade, and process for 1 or 2 minutes or until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides of the container with a rubber spatula, and process for 15 more seconds.
4. In a medium bowl, combine whole-wheat pastry flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add silken tofu mixture, and stir well to combine.
Thyme-ly Tip: You can make the chocolate ganache used in this recipe in larger amounts and use it as a glaze or drizzled sauce for cakes, cookies, quick breads, and other desserts, as well as sorbet and nondairy ice cream. It's also great as a dip for fresh fruit.