CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
Betty Crocker Ultimate Bisquick Cookbook
This "robust, zippy-flavored stew of meat and vegetables with fluffy dumplings" was touted as a great way to stretch food dollars in the 1940s.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Start To Finish: 3 Hours 5 Minutes
• 1 cut-up whole chicken (3 to 3 1/2 Ib)
• 2 medium stalks celery (with leaves), cut up (about 1 cup)
• 1 medium carrot, sliced (1/2 cup)
• 1 small onion, sliced
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 5 cups water
• 2 1/2 cups Original Bisquick mix
• 2/3 cup milk
1. Remove and discard excess fat from chicken. In 4-quart Dutch oven, place chicken, giblets (except discard liver), neck, celery, carrot, onion, parsley, salt, pepper and water. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer about 2 hours or until juice of chicken is clear when thickest part is cut to bone (170°F for breasts; 180°F for thighs and legs).
2. Remove chicken and vegetables from Dutch oven. Discard giblets and neck. Skim 1/2 cup fat from broth; reserve. Transfer broth to large bowl; reserve 4 cups (reserve remaining broth for another use). ;
3. In Dutch oven, heat reserved 1/2 cup fat over low heat. Stir in 1/2 cup of the Bisquick mix. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in reserved 4 cups broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Add chicken and vegetables; reduce heat to low. Heat about 20 minutes or until hot.
4. In medium bowl, stir remaining 2 cups Bisquick mix and the milk with wire whisk or fork until soft dough forms. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto hot chicken mixture (do not drop directly into liquid). Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Cook dumplings uncovered over low heat 12 minutes. Cover and cook 12 minutes longer.
1 Serving: Calories 680 (Calories from Fat 270); Total Fat 30g (Saturated Fat 9g); Cholesterol 130mg; Sodium 1680mg; Total Carbohydrate 55g (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 6g); Protein 47g
%Daily Value: Vitamin A 70%; Vitamin C 4%: Calcium 15%; Iron 25%
Exchanges: 2 1/2 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 5 1/2 Lean Meat, 2 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice's: 3 1/2