FoodReference.com (Since 1999)
RECIPE SECTION - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Articles | Food_Trivia | Today_in_Food_History | Food_Timeline | Recipes | Cooking_Tips | Videos | Food_Quotes | Who’s_Who | Culinary_Schools_&_Tours | Food_Trivia_Quizzes | Food_Poems | Free_Magazines | Food_Festivals_&_Events
and other Publications
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
& COOKING CLASSES
From Amateur & Basic Cooking Classes to Professional Chef Training & Degrees
The Taste of Home Cookbook
New Revised 2nd Edition
Tender beef and vegetables are combined in this recipe with a gravy that melds tomato, brown sugar and mustard.
Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
Prep: 35 min. Cook: 1½ hours
Yield: 6 servings.
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon ground mustard
• 1 teaspoon salt, divided
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
• 1½ pounds boneless beef top round steak (about 1 inch thick), cut into serving-size pieces
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 cup diced carrots
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 can (14½ ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1/4 cup cold water
1) Combine the flour, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; set aside 2 tablespoons for gravy. Rub remaining flour mixture over steak. Pound with a meat mallet to tenderize.
2) In a large skillet, brown steak in oil over medium-high heat. Transfer to a greased 2½ qt. baking dish. Top with carrots, onion, green pepper, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Pour tomatoes over all.
3) Cover and bake at 350° for 1½ to 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving dish; keep warm. Strain pan juices into a measuring cup, add water to measure 1 cup.
4) In a saucepan, combine reserved flour mixture with cold water until smooth. Whisk in pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add remaining salt and pepper. Serve over steak.
1 serving equals 249 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 549 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.