WEST AFRICAN LAMB STEW
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook/Bake Time: 2-3/4 Hours
• 1/4 cup corn oil
• 2 1/2 pounds lamb for stew
• 1 large yellow onion, chopped
• 3 heads garlic (cloves separated, smashed and peeled)
• 2 cups chopped carrots
• 2 cups chopped celery
• 8 cups chicken broth
• 1 can (28 ounces) whole stewed tomatoes, undrained
• 3 bay leaves
• 1 pound pitted dried plums
• 1 pound russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
• 1 cup natural-style peanut butter, crunchy or smooth
• 2 tablespoons canned chipotle peppers (in adobo sauce), finely chopped
• Salt and pepper
Curried Pistachio Couscous
• 1 tablespoon corn oil
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 tablespoon curry powder
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 1 package (10 ounces) plain couscous
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
• 1 tablespoon chopped pistachio nuts, toasted
• Salt and pepper
In 6 to 7-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot.
Add lamb (half at a time) and brown evenly, stirring occasionally.
Pour off drippings.
Return lamb to pot.
Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add carrot and celery; continue to cook 5 minutes.
Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 3/4 hours.
Add dried plums, potatoes, coconut milk, peanut butter and chipotle peppers; stir until peanut butter is blended.
Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until lamb and potatoes are tender.
Season stew with salt and pepper, as desired.
Remove bay leaves.
Serve with Curried Pistachio Couscous
CURRIED PISTACHIO COUSCOUS
In medium saucepan, heat oil over low heat.
Cook and stir onion and garlic 2 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender.
Add bay leaves and curry powder; cook and stir 1 minute.
Add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous.
Cover and remove from heat.
Let stand 5 minutes.
Fluff with fork; remove bay leaves.
Stir in parsley and pistachios.
Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Serve with West African Stew.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
% of Calories from Fat 45%
California Dried Plum Board - www.californiadriedplums.org