FoodReference.com (Since 1999)
Recipe Section - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Articles | Food Trivia | Today in Food History | Food Timeline | RECIPES | Cooking_Tips | Food_Videos | Food_Quotes | Who’s Who | Culinary Schools & Tours | Food_Trivia_Quizzes | Food Poems | Free Magazines | Food Festivals & Events
and other Publications
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
Fix-it And Enjoy-it Cookbook
by Phyllis Pellman Good
Makes 2 loaves
Prep Time: 35-40 minutes
Rising Time: 70-100 minutes
Baking Time: 20-25 minutes
• 2 cups tomato juice
• 2 Tbsp. butter
• 3 Tbsp. sugar
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. dried basil
• 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 1/4 cup grated cheese
• 1 pkg. dry granulated yeast
• 1/4 cup warm water (110-115°)
• 7 cups bread flour, sifted
1. In saucepan, heat tomato juice and butter together until butter is melted.
2. Stir in sugar, salt, herbs, ketchup, and cheese. Cool to lukewarm.
3. In a large electric mixer bowl, sprinkle yeast on warm water. Stir to dissolve.
4. Add tomato mixture and 3 cups flour to yeast. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes or until smooth.
5. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make soft dough that leaves the sides of the bowl.
6. Turn onto slightly floured board. Knead for 8-10 minutes, until elastic and smooth.
7. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once. Cover and let rise in warm place until double, about 1-1 1/2 hours.
8. Punch down. Divide in half. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
9. Shape into loaves. Place in greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
10. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Cover with foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Betty Hostetler, Allensville, PA
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.