See Also: Asparagus Tips; Frozen Asparagus Tips;
Article on Asparagus
Canned Asparagus is U.S. Grade A, cuts and tips.
Asparagus is packed in a 14.5-ounce can, which yields about 1.7 ½-cup servings after cooking and draining.
• Store unopened cans in a cool, dry place off the floor.
• Avoid freezing or exposure to direct sunlight. Sudden changes in temperature shorten shelf life and speed deterioration.
• Store opened asparagus in a tightly covered nonmetallic container and refrigerate. Use within 2 to 4 days.
• Canned asparagus should be heated only to serving temperature and served soon after heating.
• Add flavor to canned asparagus by seasoning with herbs and spices including red pepper flakes, thyme, basil, garlic powder, or lemon juice.
• Asparagus is an excellent source of folate and Vitamin C. Asparagus is also fat and cholesterol free.
• 1/2 cup of asparagus provides 1 serving from the Vegetable Group of the Food Guide Pyramid.
Serving size 1/2 cup (122g) Asparagus, cooked
Amount Per Serving & % Daily Value*
Fat Cal 0
Total Fat 0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 350mg 15%
Total Carbohydrate 3g 6%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 2g 4%
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 30%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
USDA, Food & Nutrition Service