SESAME-OAT CHICKEN FINGERS
12 Best Foods Cookbook by Dana Jacobi
Oats and sesame seeds form a crisp coating on this oven-fried chicken. Because it is so lean, careful timing is important to avoid drying out the chicken. Serve with Cracked Mustard Dressing (below) or barbecue sauce for dipping.
Makes 4 servings
• 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
• 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
• 2 tablespoons hulled sesame seeds
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 egg white, beaten until foamy
1. Set a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and set it aside.
2. Slice the chicken on the diagonal, with the grain, into 3/4"-wide strips.
3. In a shallow bowl combine the oats, sesame seeds, oregano, salt, and a few grinds of the pepper. Place the egg white in a wide shallow bowl and set it next to the oat mixture. Roll each chicken strip in the egg white, lift and shake gently, then drop it into the oat mixture. Roll the chicken 3 or 4 times in the coating until completely covered. Holding it at both ends, gently place the coated chicken on the baking sheet.
4. Coat the chicken generously with cooking spray. Bake 3 1/2 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned on the bottom. Using tongs, turn the chicken, and coat again with cooking spray. Bake 3 to 4 minutes longer, or until the chicken is white when cut crosswise at the thickest point. Serve immediately.
NUTRITION, Per serving:
149 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fai. 17 g protein, 12 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber
CRACKED MUSTARD DRESSING
Makes 1/3 cup
• 2 tablespoons coarse-grain mustard
• 2 tablespoons soft silken tofu
• 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
• Freshly ground pepper
In a mini food processor or blender, combine the mustard, tofu, mayonnaise, and a few grinds of pepper, whirling until they are well blended. This dressing keeps for 3 days, tightly covered in the refrigerator.
Mustard dressing Nutrition
2 rounded tablespoons serving:
34 calories, 3 g fat, 0 g saturated fai. 1 g protein, 2 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber