PICKLED GREEN TOMATOES
Back to the Family by Art Smith
In the South pickles became very popular during the eighteenth century. These green tomato pickles always find their way onto relish trays. If you pick more than you need, fry the rest and enjoy.
Makes 4 Quarts
• 1 gallon green tomatoes (16 cups sliced)
• 1/4 cup canning or pickling salt
• 2 tablespoons powdered alum
• 2 cups boiling water
• 3 cups apple cider vinegar
• 1 cup water
• 4 cups sugar
• 2 tablespoons pickling spices
• 1 teaspoon allspice
• 5 (1-inch) pieces fresh ginger
• 4 cinnamon sticks
1. Thickly slice the tomatoes. Place them in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt, and allow to sit overnight. This draws out the moisture to make your pickled tomatoes crisper.
2. The following day combine the alum and boiling water. Pour over the tomato slices and allow to sit for 25 minutes. Drain the tomatoes and soak them in cold water for g minutes. Drain them again and pack into sterilized hot canning jars.
3. In a clean stainless steel pot, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, pickling spices, allspice, and I piece of ginger. Bring to a boil, then carefully pour over the green tomatoes in the mason jars. A canning funnel makes this step easy.
4. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace and remove the air bubbles by gently tapping the side of the jar. Add 1 cinnamon stick and 1 piece of ganger to each jar. Wipe the jar rims and adjust the lids, then place in a large pot and cover with boiling water. Water level must be 1 inch above the jars. Bring the water to a boil, then cover. Allow the jars to process in the boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Very carefully remove the jars with ajar lifter or sturdy tongs. They're hot!
5. Place the jars on a wire rack or dish towel. Do not retighten screw bands. Allow the jars to cool 12 to 24 hours before putting them away. Jar lids will pop as they cool. If the center of the lid is indented, the jar is sealed. If the jars do not seal, store them in the refrigerator. Pickled green tomatoes will last several months in the refrigerator if sealed properly and only one month if not.