GRANDMA'S APPLESAUCE CAKE
Country Living Great Cakes
by The Editors of Country Living
An unusual combination of warm and spicy flavors makes this applesauce cake one of the best. A generous amount of applesauce keeps the cake very moist while the addition of cocoa powder and brewed coffee adds depth of flavor.
Makes 10 Servings
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
• 1 1/2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1 1/2 cups applesauce
• 3/4 cup strongly brewed hot coffee
• 1 1/2 cups dark raisins
• 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
• 2 cups confectioners' sugar
1. MAKE THE BATTER: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 6-cup Kugelhopf or Bundt pan. Dust with flour and tap out any excess. Set aside. Combine the flour, 1/4 cup of the cocoa powder, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cloves in a large bowl and set aside. Beat the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl using a mixer set on medium-high speed until light and flurry. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating just until incorporated. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture by thirds, alternating with the applesauce and ending with the dry ingredients. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and increase the mixer speed to medium. Quickly add 1/2 cup of the hot coffee, beating until thoroughly combined— about 30 seconds. Fold in the raisins and walnuts.
2. BAKE THE CAKE; Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean—40 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack until slightly warm. Use a knife to loosen the cake from the edges of the pan and invert the cake onto the wire rack to cool completely.
3. GLAZE THE CAKE: Sift the confectioners' sugar and remaining cocoa together into a medium bowl. Make a well in the center and quickly pour in the remaining hot coffee. Whisk until well blended and smooth. Pour the glaze over the top of the cake, allowing it to soak in. Serve immediately. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
Protein: 7.9 G; Fat: 16.6 G; Carbohydrate: 85.7 G; Fiber: 3.9 G; Sodium: 309 Mg; Cholesterol: 67.4 Mg; Calories: 494.