GOLDEN NUGGET STEW
This is an official 5 A Day recipe
• 2 lbs. Beef stew meat, chicken, or turkey meat, cut into 1-inch cubes or pieces
• 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
• 2 cups water
• 1 oz. Dried mushrooms, any variety
• 16 oz. Baby red potatoes, quartered
• 12 oz. Sweet baby carrots
• 4 cloves elephant garlic, minced
• 8 oz. Pearl onions, peeled*
• 1/2 tsp. instant beef or chicken bouillon granules
• 1 can (14.5 oz) chopped tomatoes, undrained
• 8–10 gold nugget squash**
Before preparing stew, see squash instructions below.**
In a Dutch oven, brown meat, in 2 Tbsp. oil.
Add water, dried mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, garlic, onion, and pepper.
Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
Stir in bouillon and tomatoes.
Remove squash “lid” and set aside; discard seeds and loose fibers from inside.
Place squash in a shallow baking pan.
Spoon stew into squash and replace the lid.
Brush the outside of the squash with the remaining oil.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour or until the squash is tender (do not overbake).
Serve each person one squash bowl with stew.
*To peel pearl onions: Place in boiling water for 2–5 minutes, blanch lightly. Remove from boiling water. Chop off end of pearl and squeeze flesh out of skin.
**To cut gold nugget squash easily: Wash each squash. Place whole squash in oven for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until it punctures with a sharp knife. Let sit for a few minutes. Using hot mitts to hold the squash, cut 3- to 4-inch circle around the top stem (opposite flat end). Save cut end for bowl lid. Makes 8-10 individual stew bowls.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories, 408; Fat, 15 g; Cholesterol, 56 mg; Fiber, 10 g; Sodium, 391 mg; percent calories from fat, 33%.
Recipe provided by Melissa's/World Variety Produce, Inc.