DIFFERENT TWIST PORK STEW
By combining pork, yams and corn, you will have an eye-catching one-dish stew that is sure to become a family favorite.
Also see Article: Louisiana Sweet Potatoes
Makes 8 servings.
• 2 lbs. pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 (28-oz.) can no-salt-added tomatoes, with their juices
• 1 (14.5-oz.) can fat-free chicken broth
• 2 bay leaves
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 lbs. sweet potatoes (yams) (about 4), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1 (16-oz.) package frozen corn
In a large pot coated with non-stick cooking spray, brown pork over low heat, about 5 minutes.
Add onion. Cook until softened, about 7 minutes.
Add tomatoes, chicken broth, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
Cook 30 minutes.
Add yams and corn.
Simmer until potatoes and pork are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Remove bay leaves before serving.
Hint: Add canned sweet potatoes after cooking because they are already cooked.
Per serving: 338 calories, 29.8g protein, 45.4g carbohydrate, 5.9g fiber, 4.8g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 73.7mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium
Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission, Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry - www.sweetpotato.org
* Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg.