Onions Are NOT Bacteria Magnets
I received the following question about onions. My response is below. Chef James
I had an email stating that onions can be poisonous, can that be true? It said that onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked, and any leftover should be gotten rid of. It is not even safe in a zip lock bag. Can you let me know what is true?
Thank you. Cecilia (1/29/12)
Here is my response to Cecilia:
It is NOT true that onions are huge magnets for bacteria. This is an email/internet rumor that can most likely be traced back to 2008.
Actually, the opposite is true - Onions and all members of the Allium family (garlic, onions, etc.) can inhibit bacterial growth.
Onion and other Allium vegetables are characterized by their rich content of thiosulfinates, sulfides, sulfoxides, and other odoriferous sulfur compounds. (the stuff that makes your eyes water). The thiosulfinates exhibit antimicrobial properties.
Strong onions can be effective against many bacteria including Bacillus subtilis, Salmonella, and E. coli.
Thank you for using FoodReference.com
FOOD TRIVIA and FOOD FACTS
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2019 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.
FoodReference.com (since 1999)
FOOD TRIVIA and FOOD FACTS SECTION