EGGPLANT MUSHROOM LASAGNA
• 1 (1-pound) eggplant, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
• 1 zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
• 1 (10-ounce) package fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
• 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
• 8 fresh basil leaves, torn
• 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 5 (6 1/2 x 7-inch) sheets no-boil lasagna noodles
• 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray 2 baking sheets and an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Place the eggplant and zucchini slices on the baking sheets, overlapping them if necessary Spray the vegetables with nonstick spray; sprinkle with the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the ground pepper. Bake until tender, about 15 minutes; set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes with their juice, the mushrooms, bell pepper, basil, crushed red pepper, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce is bubbly but not thickened, about 10 minutes.
4. Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in the baking dish and cover with 1 lasagna noodle. Top with one-fourth of the eggplant and zucchini slices, then top with 1/2 cup of sauce. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the cheese. Repeat to make 4 more layers, ending with a layer of noodles and the remaining sauce. Cover the dish with foil and bake until bubbly, about 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until all the sauce has been absorbed, 10-15 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes; then cut into four portions.
Try It: Petite diced tomatoes are a great convenience for the cook. The tomato pieces are a bit smaller than regular diced tomatoes, which you can use here also. If you prefer irregular pieces of tomato in your sauce, use whole tomatoes packed in juice and break them up with your fingers.
Nutrition Per Serving (1/4 of lasagna): 365 Cal, 8 g Fat, 2 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 5 mg Chol, 599 mg Sod, 62 g Carb, 9 g Fib, 15 g Prot, 182 mg Calc.
Points value: 7.