CHICKEN & MUSHROOM LASAGNA
Come together with friends and family to indulge in one of the most beloved Italian comfort foods on National Lasagna Day, July 29th. ‘Lasagne ai Pollo et Funghi’
Mama’s ITALIAN Family Cookbook: Family Recipes From Mama’s Kitchen by Parragon Books. Mama shares all the kitchen secrets you need to create traditional Italian meals, from splendid starters to main meals and delicious desserts in this classic collection of recipes! Dinner parties are always a success with Mama by your side. Recreate the warmth of an Italian family gathering in your own home and have your guests raving buon appetito!
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1 large onion, finely chopped
· 1 pound fresh ground chicken*
· 4 ounces pancetta, chopped
· 3½ cups chopped cremini mushrooms
· 4 ounces dried porcini, soaked
· 2/3 cup dry white wine
· 1 (14½ ounce) can diced tomatoes
· 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
· 9 dried lasagna noodles
· 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
· 2½ cups milk
· 4 tablespoons butter
· ½ cup all-purpose flour
· 1 bay leaf
· salt and pepper, to taste
*Mama’s Tip: If you don’t have ground chicken, you can either make your own by putting some chicken meat in a food processor or buy ground turkey instead.
• Preheat the oven to 375°F.
• For the white sauce, heat the milk, butter, flour, and bay leaf in a saucepan over low heat, whisking continuously, until smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and let stand.
• Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and sauté the onion, stirring, for 3-4 minutes.
• Add the chicken and pancetta and cook for 6-8 minutes. Stir in both types of mushrooms and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
• Add the wine and bring to a boil. Pour in the tomatoes, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the basil.
• Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles, bring back to a boil, and cook according to the package directions. Drain well on a clean dish towel.
• Spoon one-third of the meat sauce into a large baking dish. Remove and discard the bay leaf from the white sauce. Spoon one-quarter of the white sauce over the meat sauce. Arrange three of the lasagna noodles over the white sauce. Repeat the layers twice, finishing with a layer of white sauce.
• Sprinkle with the Parmesan and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and bubbling. Serve immediately.