Fix-It And Enjoy-It! Healthy CookbookPhyllis Pellman Good
Recipe: Sylvia Eberly, Reinholds, PAMakes 8 servings
15 minutes Cooking/Baking Time:
• 1 medium to large head of cabbage, about 6" in diameter
• 1 Tbsp. olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 green bell sweet pepper
• 3/4 Ib. 95%-lean ground beef
• 6-oz. can tomato paste, no salt added
• 8-oz. can tomato sauce, no salt added
• 1 to 3 tsp. dried oregano, according to your taste preference
• 2 tsp. dried basil, optional
• 1 tsp. black pepper
• 1 cup grated reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, divided
• 1/2 cup low-fat ricotta, or low-fat cottage cheese, divided
• 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Wash cabbage and remove tough outer leaves. Cut head in half and slice.
3. Arrange finely sliced cabbage in a steamer basket and steam about 3-5 minutes. (You may need to do this in 2 batches.)
4. Drain cabbage well. Set aside.
5. Saute garlic, onion, and green pepper in olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
6. Add ground beef to skillet and brown thoroughly. Drain off any drippings.
7. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, and seasonings to beef mixture. Combine well.
8. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking pan. Drain cabbage again. Make layers starting with half the cabbage leaves, half the meat mixture, one-third of the mozzarella, and half the ricotta cheese.
9. Add another layer with remaining cabbage, then the meat mixture, half the mozzarella, and all the remaining ricotta cheese.
10. Top with remaining mozzarella.
11. Finish by scattering Parmesan on top.
12. Bake, covered, for 20 minutes.
13. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes more, or until lightly browned.
Calories 230, Protein 20 g, Carbohydrates 18g, Total Fat 9g, Saturated Fat 5g, Monounsoturated Fat 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 49 mg. Sodium 330 mg. Fiber 5 g