Carrots with Pineapple Sauce and Golden Raisins
The Brazilian Kitchen
by Leticia Moreinos Schwartz
Cenoura com Molho de Abacaxi e Passas
This recipe is inspired by the wonderful salads I used to eat at Celeiro, a restaurant famous in Rio for just that. When marinated in a pineapple and raisin sauce, shredded carrots become crunchy and tender, receiving both sweet and sour notes. The three ingredients harmonize nicely and the result is very refreshing and healthy. Try to use a fresh and fragrant pineapple and organic and crispy carrots for this recipe. Feel free to use dark raisins instead of golden if that's what you prefer. Bring this to a barbecue instead of potato salad or coleslaw, and be prepared for compliments!
Makes 4 Servings
• 2 cups finely diced fresh pineapple
• 1/3 cup water
• 1/3 cup golden raisins
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
• kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• pinch of turmeric
• pinch of cinnamon
• 3/4 pound carrots (4 to 5 carrots), peeled and trimmed
• 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup fresh chopped chives
1. Place 1 cup of pineapple with 1/3 cup of water in a blender, and blend until the fruit is completely liquefied, about 2 minutes. Strain the juice through a fine sieve into a measuring cup and keep 1 cup. If need be, press the pulp to extract more juice, then discard the pulp.
2. Bring the pineapple juice to a simmer in a medium saucepan, over low heat. Add the remaining 1 cup of diced pineapple, raisins, mustard, and vinegar. Cook over very low heat, stirring occasionally, until the raisins soften and the mustard dissolves in the juice, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, turmeric, and cinnamon. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, grate the carrots using the largest holes in your grater. Place the grated carrots in a bowl.
4. When the pineapple sauce is cooled, fold in the mayonnaise with a rubber spatula. Pour the pineapple sauce over the carrots and fold everything together.
5. Chill the salad in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Remove it from the refrigerator at least 20 minutes before serving. Garnish with the fresh chopped chives.