FoodReference.com (since 1999)
COOKING TIPS AND HINTS SECTION
Home | Articles | Food Trivia | Today in Food History | Food Timeline | Recipes | COOKING_TIPS | Videos | Food Quotes | Who’s Who | Culinary Schools & Tours | Food_Trivia_Quizzes | Food Poems | Free Magazines | Food Festivals and Events
Cooking and Kitchen Tips and Hints, Measurements, Shopping Advice, Serving Ideas, etc.
You are here > Home >
and other Publications
An extensive selection of free magazines and other publications
1 pound apple sauce = 2 cups
Canned Unsweetened Applesauce can be processed with added organic acids (such as erythorbic) to prevent oxidation (browning) if the packer so desires - the label will state if it has been added.
Unsweetened applesauce is packed in a No. 300 can, which is about two cups, or four ½-cup servings.
• Store unopened cans in a cool, dry place off the floor.
• Store opened applesauce in a covered container and refrigerate. Use within 5-7 days.
Uses and Tips
• Unsweetened applesauce can be served at room temperature, or chilled, as a simple lowfat dessert, or used as an ingredient in recipes. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon, if desired.
• Applesauce is a great fat substitute for lowfat baking. Simply substitute half of the fat in a recipe with an equal measure of applesauce.
• Applesauce makes a wonderful addition to raspberry gelatin for a nutritious dessert.
• Applesauce is a source of fiber, providing nearly 1 1/2 grams per half-cup serving.
• It is low in sodium; it also contains no fat, saturated fat, or cholesterol.
• 1/2 cup of applesauce provides 1 serving from The Fruit Group of the Food Guide Pyramid.
Serving size ½ cup (122g) applesauce
Amount Per Serving and % Daily Value*
Fat Cal 0
Total Fat 0 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 2mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 13g 4%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 2%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Food & Nutrition Service, USDA
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.