FoodReference.com (since 1999)
COOKING TIPS AND HINTS SECTION
Home | Articles | Food Trivia | Today in Food History | Food Timeline | Recipes | COOKING_TIPS | Videos | Food Quotes | Who’s Who | Culinary Schools & Tours | Food_Trivia_Quizzes | Food Poems | Free Magazines | Food Festivals and Events
Cooking and Kitchen Tips and Hints, Measurements, Shopping Advice, Serving Ideas, etc.
You are here > Home >
and other Publications
An extensive selection of free magazines and other publications
See Also: Asparagus Tips; Frozen Asparagus Tips;
Article on Asparagus; Asparagus Recipes
Canned Asparagus is U.S. Grade A, cuts and tips.
Asparagus is packed in a 14.5-ounce can, which yields about 1.7 ½-cup servings after cooking and draining.
• Store unopened cans in a cool, dry place off the floor.
• Avoid freezing or exposure to direct sunlight. Sudden changes in temperature shorten shelf life and speed deterioration.
• Store opened asparagus in a tightly covered nonmetallic container and refrigerate. Use within 2 to 4 days.
• Canned asparagus should be heated only to serving temperature and served soon after heating.
• Add flavor to canned asparagus by seasoning with herbs and spices including red pepper flakes, thyme, basil, garlic powder, or lemon juice.
• Asparagus is an excellent source of folate and Vitamin C. Asparagus is also fat and cholesterol free.
• 1/2 cup of asparagus provides 1 serving from the Vegetable Group of the Food Guide Pyramid.
Serving size 1/2 cup (122g) Asparagus, cooked
Amount Per Serving & % Daily Value*
Fat Cal 0
Total Fat 0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 350mg 15%
Total Carbohydrate 3g 6%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 2g 4%
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 30%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
USDA, Food & Nutrition Service
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.