Today in Food History
• National Noodle Day
(Noodle Trivia -- Pasta Trivia -- Noodle Recipes)
• National Orange Wine Day (Wine made with white grapes, fermented with the grape skins, similar to how red wine grapes are treated).
• Health Care Food Service Workers Week (October 1-7, 2023) [Assoc. for Healthcare Foodservice]
• National 4-H Week (Oct 1-7, 2023) [4-h.org]
• Canada: [National Family Week] (week before Thanksgiving Day - Oct 2-8, 2023)
• UK: [National Curry Week] (Oct 2-8, 2023) Celebrate over 200 years of Indian restaurants in the UK.
• UK: Seed Gathering Season (Sept 23-Oct 23, 2023
[The Tree Council] Gather seeds, fruits and nuts which can be nurtured to grow the trees of the future.
On this day in:
1790 Jacob Schweppe demonstrated his process for making artificial mineral water.
1863 The first Turkish Bath in the U.S. was opened in Brooklyn Heights, New York by Dr. Charles H. Shepard.
1889 The famous cabaret, Moulin Rouge, opened in Paris, France. [ www.moulinrouge.fr/?lang=en ]
1893 Cream of Wheat (a porridge product using farina) was developed by wheat millers of Diamond Milling Co. in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Named 'Cream of Wheat' because it was so white. (Farina Trivia)
1945 William 'Billy Goat' Sianis, owner of the Billy Goat Tavern in Chicago, took his pet goat 'Murphy' to game 4 of the Baseball World Series (Chicago Cubs vs Detroit Tigers). Denied entry to Wrigley Field because "the goat stinks," Billy Goat Sianis supposedly places a curse on the Cubs that they will never win another World Series. It would be 71 years before the Cubs won a World Series, in 2016. [more on Billy Goat Tavern website]
1951 Will Keith Kellogg died. He founded Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Co. (W.K. Kellogg Company) to manufacture cereals (cornflakes were the first) developed by his brother John Harvey Kellogg.
(Kellogg’s Corn Flakes Trivia)
2008 Mars Inc., makers of M&Ms completed its acquisition of chewing gum company Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co. for $23 billion. (Chewing Gum Trivia)
2013 The musical 'Big Fish' opened at the Neil Simon Theatre in New York.