HARICOT VERTS WITH POMEGRANATE MINT
Healthiest Meals on Earth
by Jonny Bowden
Get your manganese here
Prep Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
• 1 pound (455 g) haricot verts, washed and stems removed
• 3/4 cup (175 ml) pomegranate juice
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons (12 g) fresh mint, chopped
• 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
• Small pinch salt
• 1 head red leaf lettuce, washed and leaves separated
• Extra mint leaves for garnish, optional
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the haricot verts, cooking until al dente, about 5 minutes.
While the beans are boiling, fill a large bowl with ice water. When the beans are cooked, pour them out into a colander, draining completely. Plunge the colander immediately into the bowl of ice water. Let the beans stand for about 5 minutes and drain again. Pat the beans dry with paper towels, transfer them to a covered dish, and refrigerate while making the dressing.
In a blender, place the pomegranate juice, oil, lemon juice, mint. mustard, and salt. Blend well until the mint is finely chopped and the dressing turns pink.
Arrange the lettuce on a large platter, placing the bottoms to- ward the center.
Arrange the haricot verts on top of the lettuce. Drizzle 3 to 4 tablespoons (45 to 60 ml) of the dressing over all, to taste. Store the remaining dressing in ajar with a tight-fitting lid and shake before each use. Garnish with the mint leaves, if using.
Notes from the Kitchen
• Haricot verts (fine green beans) are very fragile. Choose very fresh beans and cook them as soon as possible.
• If you prefer, it looks very pretty to use 1/2 pound (112 g) haricot verts and 1/2 pound (112 g) haricots blanc.
• You can substitute regular green beans for the haricot verts. However, the cook time can be longer, typically 7 to 10 minutes.
• You can freeze fresh herbs for use out of season. Rinse them, allow them to dry thoroughly, and put them between sheets of waxed paper in a resealable plastic bag or freezer storage container.