MANSION DIJON-CRUSTED LAMB WITH APPLE MINT RELISH
Divine Kosher Cuisine: Catering to Family and Friends
by Rise' Routenberg, Barbara Wasser
This is a signature recipe from the award-winning chefs at the Glen Sanders Mansion, who have teamed with As You Like It to cater kosher dining events, sharing and complementing their considerable culinary expertise. The Glen Sanders Mansion is a premier restaurant, caterer and inn, housed in a pre-revolutionary landmark site in the town of Scotia. This variant of the elegant French classic boosts the amount of mustard eight-fold, balancing Dijon's aromatic pungency with the sweet and sour savor of chopped Granny Smith apples, simmered in sugared cider vinegar, topped with fresh mint.
Yield: 4 Servings
RACK OF LAMB
• 1 cup Dijon mustard
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
• 4 pound rack of lamb
• 2 cups unflavored breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare large skillet and shallow roasting pan with rack.
2. Combine mustard, garlic, rosemary, thyme and parsley and rub into meat. Be careful not to get mixture on bones. Coat rack with breadcrumbs.
3. Pan sear lamb in hot skillet until browned on both sides.
4. Place lamb on rack. Roast to desired degree of doneness; 7 to 9 minutes for medium rare, add 5 to 7 minutes for medium. Serve with Apple Mint Relish.
APPLE MINT RELISH
• 1½ teaspoons vegetable oil
• 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
• 1/4 cup cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 2 small Granny Smith apples, peeled and finely diced
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
1. Heat oil in medium skillet and saute onions.
2. Add vinegar, sugar and apples. Simmer 10 minutes. Add mint and chill. Serve at room temperature.