IRISH BEEF & CHEDDAR COBBLER
Makes 8 servings
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• Salt and ground black pepper to taste
• 1½ pounds beef brisket, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 Spanish onion, peeled and chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
• 3 stalks celery, chopped
• 2 cups Irish stout
• 2 cups canned beef broth
• 1 cup chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 2 sprigs fresh thyme
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
• 2 sticks cold Cabot Unsalted Butter, cut into cubes
• 1/2 cup grated Cabot Sharp or Extra Sharp Cheddar, plus more for top
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 large egg
To make beef filling:
1. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and pepper. Dredge beef in flour mixture and set aside.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; and add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
3. Add beef and cook, stirring often, until well browned on all sides. Add carrots and celery and stir to coat. Stir in stout, broth, tomatoes, Worcestershire and thyme. Bring mixture to simmer. Reduce heat to maintain simmer, cover skillet and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Transfer mixture to large baking dish or casserole.
To make cobbler topping and finish dish:
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. Stir in herbs. Add butter and work in with pastry cutter or fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese.
3. In small bowl, whisk together milk and egg. Stir into dry ingredients until mixture forms dough and comes away fairly easily from sides of bowl.
4. Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Pat or roll out into circle 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Transfer gently to top of baking dish. Sprinkle with additional cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Calories 736 , Total Fat 47g , Saturated Fat 23g , Sodium 1026mg , Carbohydrates 50g , Dietary Fiber 3g , Protein 25g , Calcium 120mg
Recipe courtesy of Cabot Creamery Cooperative www.cabotcheese.com