CORNED BEEF SHEPHERD’S PIE
Allen Dikker, founder of Potatopia, an all-potato concept restaurant with locations in New York and New Jersey, had a bit of luck and created a Corned Beef Shepherd’s Pie that is perfect for a St. Paddy’s party can be easily made even after March 17th.
For the Mashed Potatoes:
• Red bliss potato (17-20 baby reds)
• 1-2 Tbl spoons of butter
• 1/2 tbl spoon of salt
• 1/2 cup of cream (could do more depending on how smooth you want it)
1. Cut the red potatoes in quarters (I prefer skin on) and drop them into cold water to boil with a drizzle of salt for about 15-20 minutes. Until a fork easily pokes through
2. Start mashing with a masher or potato ricer.
3. Add the butter and heat the cream quickly, add salt and start stirring all together.
4. This could be done as early as a day before.
For the Corned Beef:
• 1 large size brisket with spices
• 3 sticks of carrot
• 3 sticks of celery
• 1/2 of cabbage
• 2 whole onions
• 1 whole garlic bunch
• 1/4 cup of olive oil
• 3- 5 cups of water
• Salt pepper
1. Cut the carrot, celery, and onion in bite size squares.
2. Add the olive oil in a dutch pot until heated, add the celery, carrots, onion and season with salt and pepper and stir well together to slightly wilted and browned.
3. Cut the bottom of the garlic bunch with the skin on and toss in the pot stir well.
4. Lay the brisket with spices on top of the vegetables and add the water.
5. Cover the pot bring to boil on high and once reached temperature lower to simmer for 2 1/2 hours
6. After 2 hours add cabbage
7. Once finished let sit for 5 - 10 minutes before cutting.
8. Cut into bite size cubes and mix together with the vegetables
For the casserole:
1. Set the oven to 375 degrees
2. Use a 12inch diameter dish pour in the corned beef mixture
3. Add the mashed potatoes on top and spread to cover the dish.
4. Put into oven for 15 - 20 minutes
5. Optional is to add sharp cheddar cheese on top and broil at the end to brown the top.
6. Once finished, optional, crush salt and vinegar potato chips on top with fresh cut parsley.
7. Dip into a spicy brown mustard or optional a cabbage salad mixed with in a spicy mustard vinaigrette dressing.