HONEY INTOXICATION

There is a rare type of poisoning caused by consumption of honey produced from the nectar of rhododendrons, which contain grayanotoxin. Also called rhododendron poisoning and mad honey intoxication.

It lasts for no more than 24 hours, and symptoms are dizziness, weakness, excessive perspiration, low blood pressure, nausea and vomiting shortly after the toxic honey is ingested. The symptoms can occur within a few minutes to several hours after eating the honey. Not a problem with commercially produced honey as the pooling of massive quantities of honey during commercial processing generally dilutes any toxic substance.
 

 

 

Also see: Food Articles and Cooking Tips

CULINARY SCHOOLS
& COOKING CLASSES

From Amateur & Basic Cooking Classes to Professional Chef Training & Degrees -  Associates, Bachelors & Masters - More than 1,000 schools & classes listed for all 50 States, Online and Worldwide

FOOD TRIVIA and FOOD FACTS

Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2018 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.  You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.


 

FoodReference.com Logo

 

 

 

FoodReference.com (since 1999)

 

Home   |   Articles   |   FOOD TRIVIA   |   Today in Food History   |   Food_Timeline   |   Recipes   |  Cooking_Tips   |   Food Videos   |   Food Quotes   |   Who’s Who   |   Culinary Schools and Tours   |  Food_Trivia_Quizzes   |   Food Poems   |   Free Magazines   |   Food Festivals & Events

FOOD TRIVIA and FOOD FACTS SECTION

 

You are here > Home

Next