CORN AND CHEDDAR PUDDING
Makes 6 servings
• 2 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
• 1 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1 cup fresh corn kernels or frozen corn kernels, thawed
• 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
• 6 large eggs
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 2 cups grated Cabot Sharp or Extra Sharp Cheddar* (about 8 ounces)
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter 2-quart casserole dish. (Alternatively, bake pudding in individual ramekins.)
2. Melt butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to casserole to cool slightly.
3. In blender, combine corn and 1/4 cup of half-and-half. Process into thick puree, scraping down sides of container. Add remaining half-and-half, eggs, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Process until well combined.
4. Stir cheese into pepper mixture in baking dish. Pour half-and-half mixture over top.
5. Bake until pudding is set all the way to center (check with paring knife), 50 to 60 minutes. (If top of pudding is getting too brown, cover loosely with piece of foil). Serve immediately.
*Or vary the flavor with Cabot Habanero Cheddar, Tomato Basil Cheddar or Smoky Bacon Cheddar.
Calories 390 , Total Fat 29g , Saturated Fat 16g , Sodium 587mg , Carbohydrates 15g , Dietary Fiber 2g , Protein 19g , Calcium 410mg
Recipe & photo courtesy of Cabot Creamery Cooperative