BUCATINI WITH EGGPLANT & ROASTED PEPPERS
Vegan Italiano by Donna Klein
This delicious Sicilian pasta dish is ideal to serve in the summer months when eggplant, bell peppers, and tomatoes are plentiful. If you can't find bucatini, a long, hollow pasta, use linguine or spaghetti instead.
Makes 4 To 5 Main-Dish Or 6 To 8 Pasta-Course ServingsIngredients
• 1 medium eggplant (about 3/4 pound), peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• Table salt
• 2 large green and/or red bell peppers (about 8 ounces each), cut in half lengthwise
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
• 1 pound plum tomatoes, chopped
• 2 tablespoons capers, drained
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably the coarse variety
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 12 ounces bucatini or linguineDirections
Sprinkle the eggplant with table salt and set in a colander to drain for 30 minutes. Rinse the eggplant under cold-running water and drain well between paper towels.
Preheat the oven to broil. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
Place the bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on prepared baking sheet; flatten with your hand. Broil 6 to 8 inches from heating element until peppers are blackened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper bag and twist to seal, or place in a self-sealing plastic bag and seal. Let rest about 15 minutes. Remove bell peppers from bag; peel away and discard the skins. Cut the peppers into thin strips.
In a large nonstick skillet with a lid, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in the broth, bell peppers, tomatoes, capers, oregano, thyme, salt, and black pepper; bring to a brisk simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large stockpot filled with boiling salted water, cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and return to pot. Add eggplant mixture, tossing well to thoroughly combine.
Serve at once.PER SERVING
Calories 469; Protein 19g; Total Fat 9g; Sat. Fat 1 g; Cholesterol 0mg; Carbohydrate 80g; Dietary Fiber 8g; Sodium 584mg