See also: Brussels Sprouts Cooking Tips ; Brussels Sprouts Article
BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH PEPPERS AND ALMONDS
Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Cooking
by Beverly Lynn Bennett & Ray Sammartano
You'll become a lover of Brussels sprouts after sampling this colorful side dish, where Brussels sprouts are oven-roasted with toasted sesame oil, garlic, bell peppers, and almonds.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 to 45 minutes
Serving size: 1 cup
Yield: 6 servings
• 1½ Lb. Brussels sprouts
• 4 tsp. toasted sesame oil
• 2 tsp. olive oil
• 1 tsp. garlic powder or garlic granules
• 3/4 tsp. sea salt
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
• 1 cup red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 1-in. strips
• 1 cup orange or yellow bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 1-in. strips
• 1/2 cup raw sliced almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly oil a large cookie sheet.
2. Trim ends off Brussels sprouts, remove any tough or yellow outer leaves, and cut each in half lengthwise. Place Brussels sprouts on the prepared cookie sheet.
3. Drizzle toasted sesame oil and olive oil evenly over Brussels sprouts. Sprinkle garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using) over the top. Using your hands, toss Brussels sprouts until evenly coated, and spread out to form a single layer.
4. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir with a spatula, and spread out into a single layer.
5. Scatter red bell pepper and orange bell pepper slices over Brussels sprouts. Bake for 15 to 20 more minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender and lightly browned around the edges.
6. Scatter almonds over the top, and bake for 2 or 3 more minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from the oven, stir vegetable mixture well to combine, and serve hot.
Variation: You can also sauté the Brussels sprouts with both oils and seasonings in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes or until they just begin to brown in places. Add bell peppers and almonds, and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes or until almonds are lightly toasted.
Say What? - Choose Brussels sprouts that feel firm; have tight, shiny-edged leaves; and are 1 or 2 inches in size.