BRAISED MOLE BEEF TACOS
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 3/4 hours
Makes 6 servings.
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
• 2 pounds boneless beef chuck, well trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 cup beef broth
• 1/3 cup tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Ancho Chile Pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Chipotle Chile Pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection Garlic Powder
• 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection® Mexican Oregano Leaves
• 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Collection® Ground Cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 ounce semi-sweet baking chocolate, broken in half
• 12 corn tortillas (6-inch)
• Mexican crema, crème fraîche or sour cream
• Mexican queso fresco, queso añejo (Cotija) or feta cheese, crumbled
• Chopped fresh cilantro
• Toasted slivered almonds
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in 5-quart Dutch oven or saucepot on medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of the beef; brown on all sides. Repeat with remaining beef. Remove beef; set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in same pot on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add water; stir to loosen browned bits in bottom of pan. Add beef, beef broth, tomato paste and seasonings; mix well. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chocolate. Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour or until beef is tender and sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally.
3. Brush both sides of tortillas lightly with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Cook each tortilla in nonstick skillet on medium heat 1 minute per side or until tortilla is slightly crisp but still pliable. Drain on paper towels. Spoon about 1/4 cup beef mixture into center of each tortilla. Top with desired garnishes. Fold and serve.
Recipe from McCormick® - Spices & Seasonings