SWEET POTATO AND BROCCOLI SHEPHERD'S PIE
12 Best Foods Cookbook by Dana Jacobi
Keeping only the mashed potatoes of traditional Shepherd's Pie, this meatless version replaces the usual minced lamb with generous layers of broccoli and cheese, making it as comforting as the British classic but much lighter. It freezes well and reheats beautifully. To reheat, bring the Shepherd's Pie to room temperature, cover it with foil, and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Three kinds of cheese, plus buttermilk, make this dish calcium-rich.
Makes 6 servings
• 2 pounds Beauregard, Garnet, or Jewel yams
• 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
• 2 teaspoons salt, divided
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 large egg white
• 3 cups broccoli florets + 1 cup broccoli stems, thinly sliced crosswise
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1½ cups reduced-fat ricotta cheese
• 1/4 cup crumbled fat-free feta cheese
• 1/4 cup buttermilk
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
• 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Bake the yams 1 hour, until they are soft. When cool enough to handle, peel the sweet potatoes and place their flesh in a mixing bowl. Add the ginger, five-spice powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Mash with a fork until the potatoes are creamy. Season with pepper, and mix in the egg white.
3. Steam the broccoli florets and stems until tender, 8 minutes. Place them in a bowl and season with the lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
4. Place the ricotta, feta, buttermilk, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor. Whirl until the mixture is smooth, 2 minutes. Add the oregano, and pulse to distribute it evenly. Season the mixture with pepper.
5. Coat a deep 1½-quart heatproof casserole with cooking spray. Spread half the potato mixture over the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon half the cheese mixture over the sweet potatoes. Arrange the broccoli on top of the cheese. Cover the broccoli with the remaining cheese mixture. Cover the cheese with the remaining sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs. Cover the top of the casserole with the grated Parmesan.
6. Bake the pie uncovered for 50 minutes, or until it is bubbling around the edges and hot in the center. Remove from the oven and let sit 20 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 200 calories, 7 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 12 g protein, 22 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber