FoodReference.com (since 1999)
RECIPE SECTION - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Food Articles | Food Trivia | Today in Food History | Food Timeline | Recipes
Cooking Tips | Videos | Food Quotes | Who’s Who | Trivia Quizzes | Food Poems
Free Magazines | Recipe Contests | Culinary Schools | Gourmet Tours | Food Festivals
FREE Magazines and
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Cooking
by Beverly Lynn Bennett & Ray Sammartano
Savory kale is quickly steam-fried with onion and garlic and then tossed with sesame seeds, hemp seeds, tamari, and toasted sesame oil to create this delicious, calcium-rich side dish.
Prep time: 3 to 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 to 7 minutes
Serving size: 3/4 to 1 cup
Yield: 4 servings
• 2/3 cup onion, diced
• 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
• 2 tsp. garlic, minced
• 1 bunch green or purple kale, stems trimmed, and torn into large pieces
• 1½ tsp. raw sesame seeds
• 1½ tsp. raw hemp seeds
• 1 tsp. tamari
• 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
• Sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, steam-fry onion, water, and garlic, stirring often, for 2 or 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add kale and steam-fry, stirring often, for 3 or 4 minutes or until tender.
2. Add sesame seeds, hemp seeds, tamari, and toasted sesame oil, and stir well to combine. Taste and season with salt and black pepper. Remove from heat, and serve hot.
Variation: Feel free to substitute other greens such as Swiss chard, mustard greens, or collard greens. You can also add red bell pepper or canned pinto or garbanzo beans for extra flavor and texture.
Thyme-ly Tip: You can use this same steam-frying technique, and many of the same ingredients, to make a delicious sesame- broccoli side dish. Replace the kale with 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets, and steam-fry them along with the onion, garlic, and 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger until crisp-tender. Add the remaining ingredients, and season with salt and pepper.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020
James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.