FoodReference.com (since 1999)
RECIPE SECTION - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Food Articles | Food Trivia | Today in Food History | Food Timeline | Recipes
Cooking Tips | Videos | Food Quotes | Who’s Who | Trivia Quizzes | Food Poems
Free Magazines | Recipe Contests | Culinary Schools | Gourmet Tours | Food Festivals
FREE Magazines and
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
• 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
• 4 cups water
• 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1 bay leaf
• Salt to taste
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 tablespoon ginger, minced
• 1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced
• 1 fresh green chili pepper, minced with seeds
• 1 tablespoon ground coriander
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
• 3 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
In a saucepan over high heat, combine the lentils, water, turmeric, bay leaf and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the lentils, stirring occasionally and simmer until tender but firm, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain.
In a small frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger, garlic, chili pepper, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, paprika and sugar. Reduce the heat to low and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
In a large bowl, combine the lentils and the spice mixture, toss gently to mix. Stir in cilantro and mint. Stir in the lemon juice and serve immediately.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020
James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.