MARCH 21 - Today in Food History
• French Bread Day (French Bread Recipe)
• California Strawberry Day (Strawberry Facts & Trivia)
• National Vermouth Day (Vermouth Article)
• Ag Appreciation Week: March 21-28, 2021 [Community Agriculture Alliance] A time to recognize and celebrate the importance of agriculture. (Farms & Farmers Trivia)
• National Ag Week: March 21-27, 2021
[Agriculture Council of America]
• American Chocolate Week (March 21-27, 2021)
(Chocolate Trivia & Facts --- Chocolate Quotes)
• [National Poison Prevention Week] (March 21-27, 2021 - 3rd wk March) Established by Congress on September 16, 1961 [PL 87-319]
On this day in:
1904 Jehane Benoît was born (died Nov 24, 1987). Canadian food consultant, author, TV and radio commentator. Operated her own cooking school in Montreal, Fumet de la Vieille France. Opened one of the first vegetarian restaurants in Canada, The Salad Bar, in 1935. Author of 30 books. Known as Madame Benoît.
(Vegetarian Trivia --- Vegetarian Quotes)
1904 The St. Francis Hotel opened in San Francisco, California. (See: History of the St. Francis Hotel)
1910 Julio Gallo was born (died May 2, 1993). Co-founded E & J Gallo Winery with his brother Ernest in 1933. It is the largest winery in the U.S. with about 25% of the U.S. wine market. (Wine Quotes)
(North American Wine Articles --- Wine Trivia)
1925 Teaching the theory of evolution became illegal in Tennessee.
1957 'The Hostess with the Mostest' premiered on Playhouse 90 TV show (season 1 episode 25).
1984 A section of Central Park is renamed 'Strawberry Fields' to honor John Lennon.
1994 Due to bad harvests, there is a shortage of Japanese grown rice. Japan's Imperial Palace begins serving royal meals to the Emperor & Empress with rice grown in the U.S., China and Thailand. (Rice Trivia)
(A History of Rice --- Rice Quotes)
1999 Bertrand Piccard and Brian Jones landed in the Egyptian desert, having completed the 1st 'Around the World' hot air balloon flight. According to the BBC, they carried fresh food, including bread, cheese and pre-cooked steaks to last for 6 or 7 days, after which they made due with dried foods such as cereals and powdered milk. The flight began in the Swiss Alps, took 19 days, 21 hours and 55 minutes, and covered 29,056 non-stop miles.
2020 Coronavirus: New York, New Jersey and Illinois enter lockdowns; UK closes all bars and pubs; U.S.-Mexico border closed to non-essential traffic; NY city makes local city buses free.